The Delhi University (DU) on Tuesday determined to not implement the contentious resolution to introduce 5 supernumerary seats in its 63 faculties, introduced as a one-time measure to assist registered college students who couldn’t take admission on account of Covid-19 pandemic.
Delhi University officers stated no faculty has approached the administration with a request for admission on these seats. The plan, under which 5 college students had been anticipated to be given admission on the discretion of the faculty principals and the DU administration, had attracted criticism from each college students and the college who stated it will open doorways to corruption.
Last Tuesday, the college had issued a notification saying introduction of 315 supernumerary seats in undergraduate programs throughout its 63 affiliated faculties — 5 in every establishment to registered college students who couldn’t take admission. The notification didn’t cite any particular motive for which a candidate could be thought of for admission under the extra seats class. It learn that the benefit of the eligible candidate “must not be beyond 10% of the last cut-off issued by the college”.
The notification said that the choice was taken on the request of principals and members of the manager council (EC) — the very best decision-making physique of the varsity.
DU Dean of Colleges and spokesperson Balram Pani on Tuesday confirmed that the administration has determined to not implement the proposal. “The decision has been taken since no college has sent the request for admission on these five seats. The administration had decided to introduce these seats only to help students amid the pandemic. We can’t go ahead with the proposals when no college has come forward to admit students on these seats,” he stated.
December 30 was the final date for faculties to ship the small print of scholars who may get admission under the new rule.
Several principals stated that they’d by no means supported the choice. Ramjas College principal Manoj Khanna stated, “The decision was taken without any discussion with the principals. In fact, there was no discussion with any statutory body in the university.”
Another principal, who wished to not be named, stated, “The administration had said that the decision of introducing these seats was taken after getting requests from principals. Where are those principals now? It’s a plot to allow backdoor entries and due to huge criticism from principals, teachers, and students, the University has now decided to withdraw it.”
University registrar Vikas Gupta stated one couldn’t name the choice of implementing the notification as a “withdrawal”. “We decided not to move ahead with the decision since there have been no requests from the principals. We can’t call it a withdrawal. One of the reasons behind no requests can be that the university had given the leverage of only 5% from the last cut-off announced for any course in any college.”
Seema Das, a member of DU govt council (EC), stated, “It was an attempt to introduce a discretionary quota in the admissions. The EC member had never supported such a decision as claimed by the administration.”