Not solely are flowers able to emanating fragrances, additionally they have medicinal properties. In reality, they’re thought of to be extraordinarily essential in Ayurveda. “Pushpa Ayurveda is a special branch of Ayurveda that was developed primarily by Jain priests. KalyanaKarakam, the 9th century text is the first to mention the use of flowers to cure diseases,” says Dr Partap Chauhan, director of Jiva Ayurveda, which focuses on delivering personalised Ayurvedic remedy for continual and way of life illnesses.
He explains that flowers are the reproductive elements of the plant and relying on their kind, they can be utilized complete, “as in with the Kumbhi flower (Careya Arborea Roxb.)”, “just the petals like the rose (Rosa centifolia Linn.)”, or the “stigma and the upper portion of the style as is the case with the saffron flower (Crocus Sativus Linn.)” for medicinal functions.
“They could also be consumed as petals or as a juice decoction and can be applied as tincture or be administered after mixing with other ingredients, too,” Dr Chauhan suggests.
He explains how some main blossoms are used for medicinal functions.
1.Hibiscus/Shoeblackplant — Petals and leaves of this flower might be present in crimson, pink, white, yellow and orange colors. Hibiscus is extensively utilized in Ayurvedic teas which assist decrease blood strain. It additionally helps with diarrhea, piles, haemorrhage in addition to hair fall, hypertension, cough. It can be helpful as a contraceptive.
2. Rose — Roses are often pink or crimson in color, with lengthy, slender pedicals. The flowers comprise tannins, nutritional vitamins A, B and C. They additionally give out important oils and comprise fatty oil and natural acids. Juice of the flower is used to cut back physique warmth and complications. Dried flowers are given to pregnant girls as a diuretic and petals are used for abdomen cleaning.
Roses can be used for making sweetmeats like ‘murraba’ out of its petals which helps ease digestive points. Rose in any form or type can show to be useful and may remedy lung-related illnesses like cough, bronchial asthma, bronchitis, digestive points like dyspepsia and flatulence. Irritation within the eyes might be assuaged with rose water. Skin issues like zits breakouts might be managed with rose paste and rose tea might be drunk to alleviate constipation.
3. Plumeria — These are aromatic yellowish to orange flowers which can be utilized in Ayurvedic medicines for varied illnesses like pores and skin illnesses, wounds and ulcers. Decoction of the flower is used for treating nausea, fevers, vertigo, cough and bronchitis.
4. Golden Shower Tree — These are yellow flowers that cling from their tree in lengthy drooping chains. It is beneficial within the remedy of pores and skin illnesses, cardiac illnesses, jaundice, constipation, indigestion, and even ear ache.
5. Lotus — Lotuses are white or pink, giant solitary flowers. It is of super religious and cultural that means. It has been confirmed to be efficient in decreasing temperature, thirst, pores and skin illnesses, burning sensation, boils, diarrhoea and bronchitis.
6. Chrysanthemum — Chrysanthemums are decorative yellow flowers. The juice or infusion of this flower can remedy vertigo, hypertension, and furunculosis. A serving of piping scorching tea created from its petals will help cut back ache and fever. If you don’t just like the style, dip a cotton pad in it after it’s cool to assuage drained and puffy eyes. It can be used to remedy digestive issues and works as a laxative.
7. Jasmine — Fragrant white flowers, jasmine tea has lengthy been utilized by cultures to ease off anxiousness and insomnia and different illnesses of the nervous system. It additionally proves useful for assuaging digestive issues, menstrual ache, and irritation.
“As therapeutic as ever, these flowers will help you retain your physical and mental health. If you are on medication, it is advised to consult a doctor and seek professional advice before you try anything new,” Dr Chauhan concludes.
For extra way of life information, comply with us: Twitter: lifestyle_ie | Facebook: IE Lifestyle | Instagram: ie_lifestyle